Followers

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Oh !!The Lesser Fortunate !!!

We all know...A man who travels alone ..travels the fastest..My daughter teaches me how to travel together....



 

  


Dear Baby,

I still remember the visit I once made to a local school for the underprivileged.The visit was soulfully enriching and humbling as I realized how we  take so many things such as education, safe drinking water, good health care and access to nutritious food made available to us for granted. The visit made to the street children of the underprivileged Kolkata served as an Eye Opener for each one of us. The eager cherub faces only added to my grit to make the most of the two and a half hour which we had. Each member of the team pitched in headlong to understand the requirements of this deprived section as we came up with various innovative ideas to contribute towards a better life by providing each child in need with life's essentials.
I have often found that children of this section are happy just to be smiled at and acknowledged unless they are already "hard-core" beggars. It's hard to resist those adorable faces, and not reach out and spoil them a bit
It pulled at our heart's strings as we were greeted with cheerful "Good Afternoons". Yes, they are being taught well with whatever meager means available. It was so endearing and the small gesture so very positive that it made me smile and I found the angelic faces beaming back at me. As they eagerly introduced themselves, we moved on to our next agenda- A simple workshop with the "All colourful play dough" we were surprised with the hidden talents ensconced in these little beings. The energy put in by their tiny hands was immensely infectious. I found that another great tool of friendship was our quintessential mobile or digital camera. Just like you the little ones loved posing for a good photograph , as we all got into a frenzy of flashing and clicking the miniature dolls ,roses , flowers, little deities of Ganesha and Durga  offered to us by the little freshly scrubbed beaming faces.
As they are deprived of their rights in health, education and nourishment, children from these backgrounds are considered to be the most suppressed and more likely to be more violent. Governmental support is very limited.
I don't want you to give me your surplus. I want you to give with personal deprivation- Mother Teresa- 


No comments: